Monday, September 28, 2009

Blog Stew

It is dark and quiet and windy right now, and I have a chance to catch up on a few things.
Or, more importantly, decide what to focus on right now. There are just too many chunks in the stew. Artwork has been put inexcusably on hold for Writing. Now Writing is out in the world, being ripped apart in the agent query cattle call/cage match, and I realized that I haven't updated the artwork on my own actual website in months.
Shame!
Not that I haven't been working, it was just little assignments. Not portfolio pieces. I think it's time for the final revision of a picture book dummy that has been languishing for too long now. Researching agents has led me to a surprising number of houses that rep author/illustrators. This is encouraging.

Also encouraging- we saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs last week. Very funny without being gross, very cute without being sappy, very hyper without becoming annoying. The 5 year old loved it. And the animation was gorgeous. The story was nothing like the classic storybook, aside from the giant food in the sky, but it was refreshingly well done. Just like in books, there is nothing that irritates me more than a movie that looks slapped together or sub-par because it's written for kids.
And I think we finally have a computer animation studio that can compete with Pixar on the quality level.

4 comments:

MG Higgins said...

I love animated movies and it's always nice to get a good recommendation. Good luck with all your projects!

Mary Witzl said...

Am I wrong, or is that meatball story taken from a Japanese picture book called 'Hare, tokidoki buta' (Clear, with a chance of pigs)? The only reason I know this is because that happens to be the first book I read with my youngest daughter in Japanese. And the author was from the town I lived in, in Southern Japan. It just HAS to be an adaptation of that book -- too much of a coincidence otherwise!

adrienne said...

I wasn't so encouraged by the previews for that movie, but based on your recommendation, I'm curious.
Good luck with your projects!

Lily Cate said...

Mary- it's based on the 1978 book by Judith Barrett. And "based" means they used the title and almost nothing else.
But it was a very charming, very pretty movie.

Adrienne-If you can get past the complete rewrite of the script, then its pretty darn good. If you're expecting anything like the original tone of the book however, it's going to be a shock. It's a movie for kindergarteners, really.