Saturday, January 9, 2010

Was This Helpful? NO!

Sometimes, I really hate new stuff. Especially when it has 4000 new features, and none of them are what I need.
I used to have this oooooooooooold sewing machine. It was my mother's actually, and it was made in about 1973. I used it for years. She used it for years. Then the motor finally blew. I wanted to get it fixed. Instead, Mom went out and bought me a nice new one, with computerized controls, and all kinds of fancy push button features. (like, Instant Buttonhole, which I still can't use right) It actually sews great. The problem came when the teeny, tiny little screw that holds down the sewing plate came loose. I don't know when, or how, I just know that the other day, my machine was suddenly @$#! and one of the teeny, tiny little screws seems to have fallen out. (??)
Let's parallel this with my printer/scanner situation.

I used to have an Epson scanner. That's all it did, was scan. And it did a FANTASTIC FREAKING JOB. Perfect, crisp scans, with super accurate colors. Awesome. Perfect. Except the plug port broke, and then it was crap.
Of course, by the time it broke, that model had been discontinued. When I went out to get a new scanner, everything was a scanner/printer combo. I didn't need this. I had a wonderful, cheap-piece-of-crap printer that none the less printed beautiful, clean images on anything I jammed through the paper feeder, from photo paper to fabric sheets. It was wonderful.

And then it all ended.

I bought one of those stupid scanner/printer combos. I hate it. No, literally. It does absolutely nothing I need it to do. The scans are fuzzy, the software doesn't give me as many options for setting the scans as my old one did, it won't print on anything besides printer paper (even though the box said it would handle card stock and photo paper. It lied.) It just all around sucks.

Meanwhile, for some reason before I knew the new scanner beast was a useless paperweight, I let Mr. Cate take Old Trusty to work at his non-profit office day job. Grr.

I now have two useless machines, and a ton of work I need those machines for.

But wait- we live in the internet age. I can hop online and figure these problems out.
First, the screw on the sewing machine. It is such a weird size and shape that there is nothing, even in my engineer dad's office, that quite matches. But, I think, maybe I can just order a new one over the ol' computer.
No.
The company does not sell replacement parts for my machine- or any other- online. In fact, to just submit a question or comment, I have to register a new account, with all kinds of info they don't need- unless they just want to send me endless spam and junk mail.

Same thing with the printer company. In order to submit a question to their troubleshooting page, such as "how do I get this !@#! machine to do what the box says it will do??" I have to register an entire account I don't need. I hate doing that.
So much, that I would rather buy a new printer/scanner from someone else, and never deal with these Epson people again.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say, to all companies that make it a total hassle to get some customer support- YOU ARE USING THE INTERNET WRONG.
You loose.
This is supposed to be more helpful. Don't make me long for the days of those horrendous phone menus. At least there was always a way to mash down the buttons, and get a person on the phone. They never had any answers either, of course, but there was sometimes a little satisfaction when they sounded like they were trying to help.

3 comments:

♫♪ ♥♥ KittyCat ♥♥ ♫♪ said...

I SOOOO feel your pain.

ann foxlee said...

Really, I know exactly what you mean. I'm famous for preferring 20 year old built-like-a-tank machines to their modern, plastic, piece of crap counterparts.
And egads do I ever hate switching to a new piece of software! Takes me months to get used to it and I swear they leave the most useful functions off just so they can make me buy the next version, hoping they've put it back on.

Paul Michael Murphy said...

I'm willing to bet the fridge in my garage, built sometime in the 1980s, outlives the one in the kitchen that I bought three years ago.