Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Playlist

I hesitate to post much about my WIPs here, because, well all the reasons, from coming off as unprofessional to looking like a total nut, but since this is supposed to be a blog about writing, I should, yanno, write something about my writing.

So I'm giving you guys my playlist for the ms that is sitting in middle draft stage, bubbling and reducing from a pot of raw ingredients into a thick, glorious stew. Or perhaps a gut busting sludge. Here's what I was listening to as I wrote -

Feist Honey Honey
Fleet Foxes Blue Ridge Mountains, White Winter Hymnal, Your Protector
Gorillaz Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head
Franz Ferdinand The Dark of the Matinee
My Chemical Romance uh, all of it.
Silversun Pickups Three Seed, Checkered Floor, Rusted Wheel, etc.
The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Ruby Tuesday, Angie
Vampire Weekend, Walcott, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
Weezer - anything off of Weezer, of course
Passion Pit To Kingdom Come

And a whole pile of others, as well, but these were on the heaviest rotation during drafts 1-4.

Any other music-fueled writers out there? What do you listen to when you write?

9 comments:

Rena said...

Cool list. I can't listen to anything when I'm writing. Even my kids playing is distracting for me.

Kate said...

If I need to concentrate, I can only listen to instrumental stuff - classical, guitar, harp, flute. I tend not to concentrate if someone is singing.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Well, you saw my list already.

I love yours! My other MC, who I'll feature next week has a Passion Pit song on his list.

Wow, I really love your list.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Also, you ought to join us in Tina's The Practice Room. We unplug in five minutes and reconvene at noon EST.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I totally agree with both of J.'s comments. Don't know how I missed you post.

Yes, I do. I'm not keeping up so well. But here I am now.

Mary Witzl said...

If I had my choice, it would be Diana Jones, Ry Cooder, Leonard Cohen or Aretha Franklin. But it's often my kids' or husband's stuff, which is vast and bizarre -- and actually, very good. (They're big Weezer fans too.)

adrienne said...

I like quiet for writing and sound for painting - Regina Spektor and Rufus Wainwright are a couple of favorites

ann foxlee said...

I totally love your taste in tunes-- my 'driving in the car' mix has almost all the same music!

As far as music while writing, I can't listen to anything with words or I just start singing along. Soooo, I listen to instrumental movie soundtracks that have the right mood for what I'm writing. The soundtracks for Pride & Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version), Amelie, and There Will Be Blood are all in my 'music for writing' folder :-)
I'm itching for a new soundtrack now though, so I'll have to do some searching!

Lily Cate said...

Ann - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
Written by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.