Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chicken v. Egg


What comes first, the plot or the character?

I'm a characters first writer myself. I know who my story is about before I know what it is about. And this again contributes to my slower writing, because I have to hang out with these people for a while before I know what they are really doing out in their respective worlds.

My closest friends are usually people I've known for months or years before I really developed a relationship with them. My characters appear to be the same way. Still surprising me, still revealing layers even after years of telling their stories. I am not a fan of character sketches and plot outlines for that very reason. I don't really know a lot of details about my characters until I've seen them in action.

So, how do you get started on a new project - with the plot or the characters?

1 comment:

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I'm like that with real life people too! But I think I am much more about the characters than plot. And likewise it takes me forever to write anything!!