Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Picture Book Love

As a follow-up to my recent post about MG and adult novels I've really enjoyed, I thought it was about time to mention some of our fav PBs too. These are some of the most loved books on our shelves, ones that we read hundreds of times when my son was teeny tiny, and the books that taught him to read. 

Penguin Dreams  Cars: Rushing! Honking! Zooming!  Product Details


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening  Bob and Otto  Bats at the Library

Science Verse  Man on the Moon  Bugliest Bug  Beware of the Storybook Wolves

They are, in no particular order, 
Penguin Dreams by Otto Seibold 
Cars by Patricia Hubbell, illustrated by Megan Halsey & Sean Addy 
Snow by Uri Schulevitz
Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost, illustrated by Susan Jeffers 
Bob and Otto by Robert O. Bruel, illustrated by Nick Bruel 
Bats at the Library by Brian Lies 
Science Verse by Jon Scieszka, illustrated by Lane Smith 
Man on the Moon by Simon Bartram 
The Bugliest Bug by Carol Diggory Shields, illustrated by Scott Nash 
and 
Beware of the Storybook Wolves by Lauren Child 

These are some of the books that had the longest shelf life.The first three are in the "incredibly short" category, sometimes just a few words on a page. Great for the smallest kids, and with fantastic illustrations. 
The rest are ones that have hung on even though we've moved into novels and chapter books. A little longer text, more complex words, great for the first steps of independent reading and of course, fantastic art. 

Anyone else want to share some book love? Favorite PBs? MG? Non fiction?? 
We like all books here.  



3 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Let's see...'There's a Lion in the Meadow' (Margaret Mahy), 'Tickle, Tickle' (Helen Oxenbury), ALL of Graham Oakley's Churchmice series, 'The Hungry Caterpillar' (which my kids knew by its Japanese title, Harapeko Aomushi), 'Where the Wild Things Are', 'Alexander and the Terrible, Awful, No Good, Very Bad Day'...and so many others. We were always amazed by the books that captured our kids' fancy -- there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason -- other than beautifully done illustrations and a quirky sense of humor.

Lily Cate said...

Ooh! We have most of those on the shelf, too :)
I'm hoping PBs can stay strong in the midst of this industry transition from strictly print into e-books. I see less and less of them on the bookstore shelves, but more midlists hanging on through internet shopping sites.

I'd rather get them from the bookshop, but if I have to get some of my PBs from the internet to keep the publisher's printing them, I'll do it! I'll likely be a PB collector long after my son has outgrown them. Such fantastic art and poetry!

Adrienne said...

We have so many favorites. When she was two, my daughter would sit through The Story of Babar - pretty lengthy by today's standards! I love The Tub People, The Cat Club, Lost Cat, Prince Cinders, Max's Chocolate Chicken...I could go on and on.