Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for Coraline


Coraline




I always knew I'd be a writer in some way or another. Maybe not professionally, maybe not exclusively, but since I was a child, writing has always been a part of my life.

Through my early adulthood, I hadn't quite found my voice, the spark that would generate my creative spirit. Just after college, and right before I was married, I discovered the fabulous world of middle grade fiction for the second time in my life. The first had been as a reader, of course, the second was as a writer. That's when I found my niche. I would write for kids.

But it wasn't until I found Miss Coraline, right after she was published, that I found the writerly daring to tell the slightly skewed, definitely darker stories I really wanted to write. Coraline gave me that last little push that said, "Go ahead and be weird, and wild, and a little bit scary." And I am ever grateful, so today is dedicated to her.




(also, notice the cover blurb by Philip Pullman? He needs to be added to my favorite authors list. Along with Kurt Vonnegut, and Michael Chabon and Douglas Adams. )

6 comments:

Cheree Smith said...

I loved the movie, I really need to read the novel. I love the dark stories for children.

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Like Cheree, I have only scene the movie, but it is genius. I liked The Graveyard Book, so I imagine I'll love Coraline. How awesome that's the style of book you write.

Jaye Robin Brown said...

um...seen...not scene.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I've seen the movie, and used to read it with my students every year. Love Coraline!

My C

Lily Cate said...

Isn't she great? :)

My seven year old and I are reading The Graveyard Book, and he's really loving it. The Coraline movie, however "Kind of freaks me out, mom."

I want to be in the class that reads this book!

Callie Leuck said...

I liked this book. I hadn't actually realized it was by Gaiman. I love many of his books, and greatly recommend pretty much anything by him!

It's great that this encouraged you :)