Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for First Drafts



I have to admit, I love writing first drafts. I find them very refreshing, and free - in a first draft, I can try anything I want, I can let a seemingly absurd scene play out, because its all going to get revised later anyway, and hey, might as well give it a shot. the surprises can turn out to be the best part. That's where the kernels of ideas really grow into towering vines (that will need to be pruned later, but let's not let that clog up the flow, after all. How can we tel a story with no flow?)

The first draft is the childhood of any book, the place where ideas get tested and held up to the light, to see if the essence of the narrative shines through. And sometimes it doesn't, and those first ideas get reworked on the way to being a big, polished adult Book. But I think it's the fun part.

4 comments:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Oh, me, too! I love first drafts. Well, I love the first of first drafts, and the ends of first drafts. The middles are usually filled with self-doubt and loathing. I just finished one and am now mapping it to begin revisions and it's interesting to remember the scenes I adored and had fun with but realize now, no way Jose.

Lily Cate said...

My middles tend to be filled with collections of scenes I think are brilliant... at the time... :D

Heidi said...

Me three! I absolutely LOVE first drafts. When I go back and revise I find a whole mess of rabbit-trails that I THOUGHT at the TIME were really brilliant, only to realize they were actually rubbish. But it's all worth it for the rare gems that are found from just letting my brain and fingers go nuts in the first round.

Heidi said...

I love the wording of my comment. Never resolved that second sentence there, did ya, Sunshine? Ha! I need coffee...