Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Girls!

I think all of us who have ventured into the query world have seen this before - ahem - "Especially interested in boy books, stories that will appeal to boys, stories younger boys would love to read." etc. Now, I have a son who is just moving into independent reading, and I remember my very bright younger brother being generally disinterested in fiction, so I understand the intentions of finding books that will appeal to younger male type potential readers. I hope my son enjoys fiction as much as I do as he grows.

 However, I am a bit suspicious that "boy books" might sometimes be code for "real books". Franchise building ideas because, you know, girls will read books with boy protagonists, but guys will not read "about girls". (Which is something I've see as a justification for this "boy books" preference.)
Girls read. Girls read fiction more than boys. Girls like good stories, and will read them even when they feature a male protagonist. Let's give them the great, fun, exciting stories they love and deserve, and invite the boys to the party, too.

And thank you, to all the brilliant, smart, funny little girls out there reading. It's a fantastic time to be a kid who loves books.

5 comments:

Daisy Carter said...

Here, here!

Jenny said...

I'm not a fan of the gender divide in books, either. Good books for all kids, I say!

I'm still laughing over your profile photo.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I loath the "boy book" classification. I read just about anything with words, and anything that's interested my guy friends (as an adult or kid) interested me too. Differentiating by gender is lame.

Callie Leuck said...

Look up articles about boys and Suzanne Collin's series "The Hunger Games." Strong female protagonist, and male readers love it. I've read a lot of articles about this lately, mostly suggesting that Collins has shown publishing that boys will read books about girls. Hopefully this trend you are noticing will start to change...

Stephsco said...

I've seen a lot of chatter about this topic on blogs lately, probably due to the Hunger Games' success as @Callie said.

I wish it wasn't the case that boys are adverse to girl stuff, but it's reinforced everywhere in culture. You'd never dream of dressing a boy in pink or light purple, but girls can wear any color. Boys don't play with girl dolls, or if they do, we direct them to boy toys. I constantly overhear stuff everywhere I go - grocery store, mall etc - "put that down, it's for girls."

I like this:
Girls like good stories, and will read them even when they feature a male protagonist. Let's give them the great, fun, exciting stories they love and deserve, and invite the boys to the party, too