Monday, April 9, 2012

H is for...Horror!

The Monstrumologist (Monstrumologist Series)My Dad and my StepDad are both big readers, and big fans of horror novels. There was a lot of Stephen King and Dean Koontz around when I was a kid, picking through the bookshelves (and book boxes and book stacks and old trunks full of books) And when I discovered the horror novel, I discovered a world of wicked fun.

I believe the first King book I ever read was Pet Semetery, when I was about 10 or 11. Right after that, I dove into the three existing Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles. (not exactly horror, but for a fifth grader, scary enough) Mom got me Tale of the Body Thief and Memnoch the Devil when they were released, but I haven't kept up with the series since.

 I recently read Rick Yancey's The Monstrumologist, thinking it might be a good read-together type book, and was a little thrown by the very graphic gore. We might wait a little while for that one.  Several times as I read, I went "Oh, gross." Usually, text acts as a bit of a buffer  And there's always something about reading something gory or violent that can soften it a bit from, say, watching it on screen, or seeing an illustration.

Graphic horror is one of those genres I read, but I haven't had any inclination to tackle as a writer.I like the scary, and the macabre, and the chilling, but gory and bloody are usually a little too much for me.  My favorite horror movies are stuff like The Ring, where all the scary is in the atmosphere and the ever escalating tension, and also usually with the really horrifying stuff off screen. But that's the sneaky trick with horror stories. To know just how crazy things are going to get, you're going to have to suck it up and read them!

What about you? Do you read horror novels? Like them atmospheric or spattered in red corn syrup? :D

6 comments:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

I'm afraid I'm a big old weenie when it comes to horror books and movies. The only way I can do it is if it involves otherworldly creatures that I can suspend belief in - like I love The Walking Dead, but then I don't really think zombies are going to come out of the woods and get me.

Daisy Carter said...

Call me yellow-bellied, I don't mind. I'm too scared to pick up a horror story!

Callie Leuck said...

I like a good horror! I admit I don't always seek them out, but I go through phases. I still love Stephen King, although I have yet to read some of his more well-known works. I definitely tore through the Anne Rice books when I discovered them :)

I tend to prefer the thriller types...what you're calling "atmospheric" I guess! I have a good imagination, and all my brain needs is a little fuel and I can terrify myself. I'm not a big fan of lots of gore, but mostly because books/tv/movies that are heavy on gore tend to be boring! It's like they go "Plot? Who needs plot? Just throw another few arms and a chainsaw in, and go heavier with the fake blood!"

Lily Cate said...

Yeah, I call them atmospheric when the mood is the scary part.
As for the gore on screen, the older I get, the less I can take it!

And J.Ro has just revealed that she is totally unprepared for the zombie apocalypse. That's okay, I'm not ready either ;)

Callie Leuck said...

It's not so much that I can't take it as I get bored. Friends made me watch some of the Saw movies a few years ago, and it was totally boring. Maybe I should have started with the first?

I've really got to read Pet Semetary.

Lily Cate said...

Oh no, I get grossed out! I'm not above turning my head and waiting for the screaming part to stop.

This is not so of science type programming where they might show actual surgeries, but copious amounts of fake blood and guts - *faint*