Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for Illustrators

I've done a few posts about my favorite picture books, especially authors and illustrators, and I've dabbled in illustrating for kids myself. I find writing for children very freeing, and illustrating even more so. Children's illustration can be funny, goofy, smart, whimsical, mischievous, macabre, or all of the above, and that's quite alright, indeed.
 So here's a list of some of the most brilliant illustrators out there today. Again, this is by no means a complete list, but if you haven't taken a good look at the art in the children's picture book section, this is a place to begin.

Gris Grimly
Lane Smith
Toni DiTerlizzi 
Maurice Sendak
Helen Oxenbury
Lauren Child
David Shannon
Renata Liwska
John Rocco
Leo Lionni
David Wiesner
Beth Krommes
Denise Fleming

And of course, there are many, many more. Kids are so lucky, these days, to have all this phenomenal art right on their bookshelves.

1 comment:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Has a high school art teacher, I love having beautifully illustrated picture books at hand so my students can see a variety of work, and how it can be a career.