Sunday, April 1, 2012

A to Z Challenge - A is for Authors!

Welcome to my first crack at this A-Z challenge thing!
To start things off and set the tone for the month, I'm beginning at the beginning - with authors, of course! Where would we be without the beautifully mad minds of the writers who have created our favorite literature? I for one would be wondering what to do with myself all day. Instead, I have writing, and here is a list of all of my favorite authors, in no particular order, as asking me to rank my favorite books and authors is like asking someone to pick a favorite child. I mean, you can do it, but you feel really bad about it.
So, on to the people I think everyone should be reading *

Elizabeth Bunce
Bill Bryson
Jonathan Stroud
Neil Gaiman
Maggie Steifvater
Sarah Dessen
Stephen King 
Barbara Kingsolver
Lucy M Boston
Jon Scieszka
Shakespeare - (sorry, couldn't find a website. You probably have heard of him, though, right?)
Mercer Mayer
Maurice Sendak
Adrienne Kress
John Green
John Irving
Jeffrey Eugendies 
Madeline L'Engle
Susan Cooper 
Susanne Collins

And there are also a lot of others that I can't think of right this second, so I might keep adding to this list as we go.


*This list includes writers of everything from picture books to Middle Grade to Young Adult to literary novels to Non fiction, sometimes all in the same author. Well played, you magnificent scoundrels.

8 comments:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Bill Bryson - check
Barbara Kingsolver - check
John Irving - check

And of course the wonderful YA authors.

K.S. Lewis said...

Nice list! I have not read many of them, but Neil Gaimen and Stephen King are two of my favorite authors. I've also read some Kingsolver and L'Engle, and a few of the others.

^_^

K.S. @ Adjective, Not a Noun

Erin L. Schneider said...

You've got a few of my favorites on there - Maggie Stiefvater, Stephen King, Suzanne Collins, and of course, Shakespeare.

Here are a few of mine:
Carrie Ryan (The Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy), Gayle Forman (If I Stay and Where She Went), Sarah Ocker (Twenty Boy Summer), and James Dashner (The Maze Runner trilogy).

Great post to start the AtoZ challenge - looking forward to what's to come!

Evelyn | 10000Seeds.com said...

I usually read non-fiction. Just finishing a compilation of Richard Feynman now and will move on to some back issues of Scientific American soon. Good A-Z challenge post!

Kate Larkindale said...

Lots of my favorite writers on that list!

Name: Luana Krause said...

Stephen King is a die-hard fave of mine. I also like John Grisham, C.S. Lewis, Amy Tan, and L. M. Montgomery. And Billy Collins for poetry. I also want to say Shakespeare ROCKS!

Hope Roberson said...

Love Maggie Steifvater too! Nice to meet you :)

Mikazuki said...

Cool list! I love Neil Gaiman, John Green, Madeline L'Engle... I'll be sure to check out the other authors on the list, too. Your blog seems really interesting. :D