Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Navigation



See this?
This was one of my favorite things to find in a book, when I was still a kid-reader. I love maps, especially completely fictional ones.
I drew so, so many of my own, for what would have been a fictional planet's worth of imagined places, when I was a kid. What is it about maps? I don't know. They're like a list of possibilities, a whole catalogue of places I haven't been...yet.
And as a writer who often uses completely fictional settings, I've found having some kind of very rough map is vital to keeping it all in order, and achieving coherency, when my characters are running all over the globe, or even just all over town.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I feel the same way about maps. I love them. Secretly, when I find them in books, I hope to find inaccuracies in them. Especially when they are neighborhood maps and you read that a character turned left to get to the High School, yet on the map the High School is clearly a right turn and on the complete other side of town. It's a challenge to me; quite like finding red hair on the main character on the cover of a book, when clearly her hair is stated as blonde. Good times.

Nancy Thompson said...

I love maps. I have 5 of them up on my home office walls. They are so pretty and just seem to inspire reflection and fantasy. That's a good thing for a writer like me!

I'm a new follower via the A to Z. Nice to meet you.

Jeremy Bates said...

I also have an affinity for maps. I used to have a zillion of them before I began my traveling. Nat Geo always has very cool maps and I still have them.

Now if I could only find a real treasure map! heh heh

Lily Cate said...

Hi Nancy & Jeremy! Good to see more new faces!

And HiD, yeah, that's what I'm going through in revisions right now - trying to keep track of what direction everything is in relation to everything else, so that I don't have a character walking in two different directions to get to the same place. And this is all in one town!