Friday, April 20, 2012

Q is for Queries, R is for Rejection, Revision, Requests

I am a day behind! At least! Some of you are up to "S" already!
So, time for a double post to catch up!
Good thing these are all connected.

Queries - don't shudder, wince or otherwise flee the screen! It'll be okay, I promise! This was one of those concepts that eluded me at first, too. When I began my tentative research into maybe jumping into this publishing thing, the very first word that appeared to stop me was Query. Then Revision, Request, Rejection, and all of their maniacal friends, who seemed to present a whole impenetrable morass of things I had to do before I could even get to the Gatekeepers. (you know, editors)
But fear not! (as I said before) Queries are No Big Deal. Really. If you can write 50,000, or 75,000 or 100,000 words, you can write a page making that book sound awesome. Yes you can, you're a writer. There's a very simple secret to the Query. Are you ready? Here it is :

Make your book sound awesome. 


That's it. Really. I promise. 
Write something that would make a reader say, "I have to see more of this! Right now!" 
It's not the hard part. What's hard is that after the query, your book has to actually be awesome. 
That's where our other three frienemies make their entrance. 
You're not going to get anywhere without Rejection. He's going to toughen you up, and make you think about your work critically, and defend what you've done that has merit. (this will be important later.) 
Rejection leads of course to Revision, and she's a tough cookie, but, as we all find out, it's under her harsh, unrelenting eye that the real writing happens. 
And finally, when they have done with you, perhaps you get to meet Request. 
He's a bit goofy. And why wouldn't he be? He's all about fun and excitement and Yes! Yes! Yes! That's all he does - say yes and make you feel wonderful. The only problem with this guy, is that he is also easily distracted, and when he's not looking, those first two can sneak back up on you. But that's fine, because you've danced with Rejection and Revision before. Now you can at least pretend that you know what you're doing. 
That's my plan, anyway. 




5 comments:

Heidi said...

Great post! :)

Jaye Robin Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaye Robin Brown said...

And the thing about queries is only takes one agent to believe in you and your work. I passed that hurdle and am now knee high in revisions - fun, fun, fun.

Francene Stanley said...

Your plan sounds like fun. By reducing the emotions to words, you remove the sting. Blog on!

http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

mmshaunakelley said...

It's a good point about rejection leading to revision. It has made my work better.