Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Announcing A Book A Day In May!

Okay, so I just finished the A-Z challenge. Hours ago.
It was fun and goofy and made me work on this blog on a wildly more consistent basis.
So I'm going to keep right on going.
Today I launch my own personal last minute blog project, which I am calling "A Book A Day In May", in which anyone is more than welcome to play, too.
Here's how it will work.
I am going to recommend one book a day, every day for the entire month. Full length reviews are kind of out of the realm of possibility at this point, but that doesn't mean I can't share some literally love!
A Book A Day In May will kick off with Picture Book Week - right now!

Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic, Sung in the Year 1888
Go get it
My first offering, Casey at the Bat, by Ernest L. Thayer,
 illustrated by C.F. Payne.

This is the classic baseball themed poem, written in 1888, reprinted with gorgeous colored pencil illustrations by C.F. Thayer.
It's a fantastic read aloud story, because good poems are fun to recite, even if you have to do it over and over for months, or years. It's a great book for a kid to grow into, as well, because at first it's great illustrations and brilliant language, but later, they'll start to pick up on the melancholy humor, too.

And no matter how many times I read this, I still hope maybe Casey is going to get that hit. Maybe this time....

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What a great idea for May! I'm looking forward to your many recommendations. This first one is a good one. I've not seen these illustrations before. I'll have to find a copy!

Dani Duck said...

Good luck! You may want write and put a few on the back burner just in case you have a day you don't have time to write. I'm sure you can do it.