Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Book A Day In May - Beware of the Storybook Wolves

Beware of the Storybook WolvesIt's Picture Book Week, as part of my Book-A-Day project for the month of may!
Today's entry - Beware of the Storybook Wolves by Lauren Child.
I first encountered Ms. Child through her Clarice Bean books, and later through Charlie and Lola, which was one of my son's favorite shows when he was one, and we still had TV.

Charlie and Lola started a trend of hunting down every Lauren Child book we could find, and while I really do like them all, Beware of the Storybook Wolves might just be my favorite. It took me a while to track down a copy for our own, as this lovely book has gone out of print. *sniff*

I will admit am not the most savvy e-book reader, and I don't often weigh in on the digital debate - except to support the voice of authors, musicians and artists against new attitude that everything should just be free and available online. I recently had an exasperating discussion with a very nice lady about how she really should buy a copy of Hunger Games, instead of trying to find a download online for free. Sigh. - back to the point.

With the magnificent internet, it is vastly easier to find things like out of print books. I eventually did find one in a used book shop that was shipped directly to me.



I love being able to find old books, out of print books, non-digitized books that I otherwise would have no access to, however, with all this technology, it seems like the very idea of "out of print" should have gone extinct already. Right? There has to be a way to integrate the digital, POD and traditional publishing models so that books - and especially picture books, which are so wonderful, and expensive to produce- shouldn't ever have to go out of print.
This book was printed in 2001. I didn't become a parent until 2004, but by the time we got around to the library a year later, it was already "out of print." Boo. Three years? That's all we get? Are we losing a monumental portion of current literature every few years? every other year? That's very sad.

 There is so much great content out there, but it takes a while for even the most avid readers to get through it all. Two years in the bookstore inventory probably translates into the two weeks most movies get  before they are pitched out of the theaters and into home entertainment land.
Books, of all things, should have a long shelf life.

No comments: