Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Book A Day In May - The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses


The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses

One of my very favorite books as a kid.
Paul Goble wrote and/or illustrated several books with horse themes, this one, of course, as well as The Gift of the Sacred Dog, Mystic Horse, and The Boy and His Mud Horses, but The Girl Who Love Wild Horses is the one I always think of first when people ask for picture book recommendations. And not just because this one happened to be awarded a Caldecott Medal, but because I was a little girl who loved horses, wild or otherwise, and when I was a slightly older girl, I was enamored with Appaloosas. I had two of my own. One was a roan leopard filly that looked quite like the stallion on the cover of this book.

Great picture books do not just inspire with words, or help kids appreciate language, they can make a child fall in love with storytelling and art. This book certainly did this for me.


3 comments:

Katrina DeLallo said...

Oh, I love that. That is such a great picture. I LOVE horses!

Mirka Breen said...

PBs are art book for the young and the young at heart. You've undertaken a noble mission on your blog.

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Actually this story was in a text book used with the 3rd grade at the school where I taught last year. (As art teacher, I helped with reading groups) - Love this book.