Monday, May 7, 2012

A Book A Day In May - Middle Grade Week!

Hello Monday morning! I see you are gray and rainy and scattered with fog (at least here among the old oak trees). A great day to curl up with a cup of coffee, a manuscript, or a new book.
And today on my month-long adventure, I will be moving into Middle Grade.
This is my home. This is what I write. It took me a while as a writer to figure out my niche. I have dabbled in YA and PBs, and even screenplays, though I write those with/for Mr. Cate, and our "screenplays" can more accurately be described as a loose collection of notes on how to film something that would be pretty much indecipherable to anyone else. Anyway, Middle Grade is my island. The place where awesome comes to make things happen.
Now, on to the books!
First up, something delightful I stumbled upon a few years ago, Larklight, by Philip Reeve.  It's a delicious little gem perfect for anyone who asks, "What the heck is steampunk?" Give them this.


Larklight (Larklight, #1)
Go Explore!


This is a charming, elegant, and exquisitely ridiculous adventure starring Art and Myrtle Mumby, a pair of perfectly ordinary Victorian children, who happen to live with their father in a house orbiting the earth, in a world in which our solar system has been fully explored and colonized by those sturdy, dashing, thoroughly proper ladies and gentlemen of  the 19th century. 
And there are Space Pirates! And sequels!! 
If you haven't picked up Larklight yet, do it soon, and if you have read it, what did you think?? 

1 comment:

Kathy Collier said...

You have an awesome blog, and I am stopping by to award you the Beautiful Blog Award. Come on by and pick it up. You don't have to continue if you don't have the time, but I think your blog is very informative. I've enjoyed reading it.