Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Once More Around the Park

There's a quote from Carrie Fisher, about working with George Lucas - a director not exactly known for his finesse with actors, or ability to examine the human condition, or, well, emotion really - where she described his directing style on the first Star Wars picture.* After every take, all he would say was, "Good. Now do it again, faster, and more intense."

Yeah. Not a lot to go on, I suppose.
That is kind of what my 2012 felt like. A big spin of the wheel that put me right back where I started from, with the only direction being, "Do a little bit better next time."
I spent the whole year working on one particular manuscript, one that everyone loved, but not quite enough, and one that is so dear to my heart that I will probably never give up on it, no matter how long it takes to get it into the world.
In between my endless year of revisions, I wrote three new manuscripts, one of which has gotten some encouraging feedback. The other two are in various stages of simmering and stewing, and waiting for me to whip them into shape.

One thing I have not yet encountered is the Block. The lack of Something to Write. I have more crappy ideas than I could probably ever develop into real, solid manuscripts, and part of my own personal obstacle seems to be a lack of focus, an inability to really dedicate myself to one project at a time.
So, to counter the impulse to start yet another manuscript, when I have so many to finish and polish and improve, I decided to try something totally different, and as foreign to me as learning to speak Klingon.

I have started running.
I picked January, in the middle of the single digit temperatures, and the thundersnow, and the ice storms, because, well, I didn't really plan this very well, and also, if I can get out and run in the snow and the cold, I can definitely run in the warm sunshine. And I can fix this manuscript, and make it shine.


I feel like I'm in the last stretch of my 10,000 hours of practice. I think I know what I'm doing. Now it's time to make something happen here.




* I love using the word picture in reference to movies. Makes me feel like I should be in a tweed suit, with a cigar in my teeth, and a rotary dial phone that's a direct line to the boys at MGM.

Anyone else trying something different? Maybe something unexpected to keep the creativity rolling?

3 comments:

Tyrean Martinson said...

I know what you mean about having a lot of ideas . . . not all of them even ok. I think activity always boosts creativity. I like biking, walking, and when I can, I run.
Great job running in the hard weather.

Jaye Robin Brown said...

I got a new hat today. It's making me feel like writing something dapper ;0)

Good for you for continuing to pedal, run, walk, try! And to the best year yet.

Lily Cate said...

Tyrean - I think I may get used to this cold weather. Yesterday I was running around in the start of a snowstorm, and it was really invigorating!

Jaye - kudos on the new chapeau. There's something fun about getting into character!