Friday, January 11, 2013

The Snobbery Reaches Hipster Levels

Last year, I saw a lot of movies.
A lot.
Some time ago, we cut the cable, as it was expensive, and no one in the house was watching it. We discovered Netflix, and the trove of crazy, old, and obscure fare available. And I put everything in the queue.
Old Westerns, foreign comedies, hits from the 60s and 70s I didn't see because I wasn't born yet, all of it. Weird stuff that never got distribution, beautiful stuff that never got distribution, basically the whole Netflix back list.
The result?
Not going to the theater very much.
The result of this?
I just read the list of Oscar noms for '12, and I haven't seen anything in any category - except Moonrise Kingdom and the animated category. Seen all of them.

Of the rest? Well... meh, I guess.
Of the best picture nominees, I do want to see Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, (but I'd rather read them) and Django Unchained, and the rest look like perfectly fine films. I know I'll be seeing Argo and Zero Dark Thirty, because Mr. Cate  has a huge crush on Kathrine Bigelow, and a huge director man-crush on Ben Affleck. (His real man-crush is a tie between Channing Tatum and Ryan Goseling)

As far as winners, this is who should win, in the categories I can make a blind pick, based on my previous loyalties to certain actors/directors and writers.

Christopher Waltz for Supporting Actor. He should be nominated every year. Even years he doesn't have a film out. Just nominate him for existing.

Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, for Best Screenplay. I did see Moonrise Kingdom, of course. I've seen every Wes Anderson film in the theaters. All but Rushmore in the same theater, in fact.

Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, because how awesome would it be to hear, "And Academy Award winner, Bradly Cooper" in the trailer to The Hangover 3???

And a five way tie for Animated Picture, because they were all really beautiful, and really delightful. (But the one that made me laugh the most was Pirates! Band of Misfits.)

But of course, it's an honor just to be nominated.



No comments: