Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What's Up Wednesday!


 

It's Wednesday again!

Man, I had plans to blog more this week, which did not happen due to reasons which shall be explained below :)

So what have I been up to?

What I'm Reading 

Secretariat by William Nack.
 I am a sucker for horse stories, especially racehorse stories, starting of course with The Black Stallion which I devoured as a kid. I loved Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit. I'm in the mood to read some nonfiction while I work on my own manuscript, and Ill be honest, I've never found Secretariat the horse a very exciting subject. He always seemed like the upper crust jock type, another Winkelvoss of the already Winkelvossy Thoroughbred world. He doesn't have a good Bad Boy or Underdog story. He was a really nice horse bred from exceptional stock by impossibly wealthy people. So I'm going to see if this book can surprise me.

What I'm Writing 

Working on a clean up of the middle grade manuscript that landed me my awesome agent (!)

What Inspires Me Right Now

The ticking of the Last Day of School Clock. Only a few more precious days until sonny boy is released into my custody for the whole entire summer. And while I adore having him around all day, there will be much less quiet writing time, very soon.

What Else I've Been Up To

Prepping for my first 5k, this weekend! I had to get fancy socks.




*"What's Up Wednesday" is run by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, and is an awesome weekly bloghop that gives readers and writers a great venue to keep in touch through the magical world of blogs. Come hop with us!*

6 comments:

Jessica Spotswood said...

Good luck with your 5k and your MG revision! :)

Erin L. Funk said...

Have you read WAR HORSE by Michael Morpurgo? I read it to my son last fall, and then we watched the movie. Both were really good, so you might enjoy it if you like horse stories.

Good luck with your 5k this weekend! I'll be watching both my husband and son race on Sunday, but my place is firmly on the sidelines when it comes to running! :)

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

My kids and I read The Black Beauty last year-- it was a DK book that gave all sorts of background information about the types of carriages and saddles-- it was awesome. Then I made them watch The Black Stallion which was one of my very fave movies as a kid. YAY for horses.

infinitelywriting said...

Wow, hope your 5K goes well! Fancy socks always help. :)
Have you seen the movie about Secretariat? I really enjoyed it, although it made me want to read the book to see what was Hollywoodified about the story.

Lily Cate said...

thanks Jessica! For the encouragement, and for stopping by ;)

Erin - We saw War Horse in the theaters last year (I think?) because my 8 year old wanted to go. We'll have to check out the book too - and I hear there is a really spectacular live theater version as well!

Kat - Black Beauty! Such a beautiful and awful story at the same time. I read that one in elementary school, and I haven't been back. I can't read the scene where Ginger dies ever again, I fear.

Infinitelywriting - haven't seen the Secretariat movie, because I felt I pretty much knew the story, and I've seen all the actual live racing footage. The book so far is pretty detailed. Actually ridiculously detailed. I'm seven chapters in, and so far, it's covered the history of his owner's farms from the middle of the 19th century, the purchase, race records and breeding of every horse in his pedigree and *yes* his conception. I could have done without that scene, quite honestly. And I would understand why they left that scene out of the movie.

Stephanie Allen said...

Good luck with your MG revision...especially trying to squeeze it in while you have your son all summer :)