Wednesday, July 17, 2013

What's Up Wednesday

*"What's Up Wednesday" is run by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, and is an awesome weekly bloghop that gives readers and writers a great venue to keep in touch through the magical world of blogs. Come hop with us!*






















Hi all!! So, I've missed a few of these. I know, look at my head hanging in shame. I've been a busy writer, which makes me a slacker when it comes to blogging. But that's what these Wednesday catch ups are all about! 

What I'm Reading 

Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall. I'm a sucker for non-fiction. Since my last visit to What's Up Wednesday, I've also read Warm Bodies, World War Z, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. So maybe I need a little non fiction, eh? 
And what did I think? Read 'em all. 
My son just finished Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, and is halfway through City of Ember. 

What I'm Writing 

Way too many things. Halfway through the ghost story, I had a bit of a breakthrough. It's going to need a lot more work. So that one is simmering on the master plot whiteboard. Most recently, I've been tinkering with a MG magical realism story I began loooong ago, building a still rough early draft into a solid manuscript. I'm almost at the halfway point. 

What Inspires Me Right Now

Summer! It's halfway over, at least in school year terms. Tonight is my son's last baseball game of the season. I have to admit that I love fall and winter weather, much, much more than the hot awfulness of our current triple digit heat, but I also love having my little son home all the time, and the weeks are already running out. 

What Else I'm Up To 

Still running! Though I have to admit, not as much in this brutal heat. I ran in my second 5k at the end of June. It was my first timed race, and I made it in 31:55. 

Jen & Me. I'm lucky #15


She almost has me talked into thinking about considering maybe training for a triathlon next year. Maybe. We'll see. (there's swimming. Running? fine. Biking? no prob, bob. Swimming...? Eh....)
Mr. Cate, though, finished third in his age division, with a time of 23:05. And that's after a week of being brutally sick, poor guy. 
We're for sure doing the Electric Run at the end of summer. And probably a few in the fall, too. There's a trail run I'd like to try in October. Gotta keep active, and counteract all the hours sitting in front of the computer, after all! 

Now, off to hop around and visit some more Wednesdayers! 

8 comments:

Miss Cole said...

Oooh, a ghost story! That sounds very interesting.

Congratulations for all the running. And wow, a triathlon. That's impressive.

Jaime Morrow said...

I hear you on the writing too many things. I have at least three different stories in various stages. That said, I've mostly been focusing my efforts on one this summer. And a ghost story sounds awesome!

I'm amazed by runners and wish I was more capable of doing it myself. You all inspire me to give it another try. :)

Kate Scott said...

Horray for summer! And good luck with your writing and running. A triathlon sounds seriously ambisions to me, but then I'm totally lazy when it comes to athletic things. I'll just cheer you on from the comfort of my computer.

Colin Smith said...

I can't be writing more than one project at a time. There are those that can juggle like that--maybe that's you. If so, that's awesome! I hope you manage to finish them all. :)

Alison Miller said...

Wow! Sounds like you've been crazy busy! And congrats on all the running accomplishments!

I love magical realism stories so yay for that! Good luck with all your writing this week!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

SOunds like you've gotten a lot of work done. Fantastic! Awesome about the running, too. I've never tried a triathalon. The kind of biking I enjoy is slow and on flat terrain. :0)

Leandra Wallace said...

I don't know how you run like that! I'm more of the fast walker type... I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer w/your boy!

Lily Cate said...

Thanks guys!
I don't know how I do the running, either. I was a total non-athlete until this year. But I found that trying new things really seems to help my writing - challenge yourself and so forth :)
Keeps the gray matter from gelitanizing.