Sunday, August 25, 2013

Running in the Dark

As usual, it was my own fault.
It was my idea to sign up for the Electric Run.
Of course, my wonderfully supportive husband, sister in law, and our awesome running crew gladly joined up as well.
I got us all registered and ready to go. And then I proceeded to prepare in no way at all.
Most of this month, I barely went running. Even though Ben went out at least every other day, I let it slide. Hard. I think I went out three times in the last three weeks.

Then yesterday arrived, as dates on the calendar tend to do, even when you forget about them.
We had the whole day to prepare, so of course it took me until ten minutes after we should have left to find my running pants.
The Electric Run in our part of the world was set up at a local fairground. I was getting really excited to run by the time we got into the fairgrounds and had all our glowing accouterments on and flashing. The weather was gorgeous. The people were thrilled to be there.
We left in the fourth wave of runners, down the gravel trail, around a gentle curve and through a series of glowing arches rising over the beginning of the course.

Did you catch the gravel trail part? Yeah. I didn't know that either, until we started running.
It wasn't just gravel, it was also great big stones, one of which I tripped on, while trying to avoid the nice people walking and pushing strollers from the wave just ahead of us.
I tripped on a big 'ol stone at the edge of the trail, and landed on my bare knees on the gravel. When I stood up, I had a spectacular scrape on my right knee, and a little pebble stuck in my left palm. I knew that knee was going to bleed, but it didn't hurt at all, and I had about 3.1 miles of fun run ahead of me.

So I picked that pebble out of my palm, and I went running.

It was so worth it.

The Electric Run was crazy fun. The course zigzagged through the fairgrounds, over grass and trails and through the barns, which had been decorated with umbrellas and floating bubbles and thousands of dangling twinkle lights. Outside there were lanterns in the trees, and lights set up all along the path. It really was beautiful, and one of the easiest runs of my life.

At the end, I realized I had quite a lot of gravel dust in my right knee, and a huge bruise on my left knee.
I still ran the best 3 miles of my life. Somewhere around 28 minutes, after accounting for a few seconds to pick myself up off the gravel and keep running.
Jen ran it in 23. Ben ran it in 20:45. I did not take many pictures, as I was running, and bleeding.

Me & Jen, just before the race
Notice, my knees are intact at this point. 

Me, Patte, Jen & Kristi, at the end of the course. 

I'm not posting a picture of my knee, because it's just gross.
Don't worry, I'll be fine. It's just a flesh wound. This was still my favorite fun run so far, and I highly advise you to try it, if it's coming anywhere near you. (without the falling and bleeding part, of course.)

1 comment:

Leandra Wallace said...

How neat! I love lights at night- I bet the barn was amazing. Sorry about your ouchie... =(