Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Oh No NaNo!

It's that time of year when the leaves are changing, the air goes crisp, all foods are mysteriously infused with pumpkin, and your writerly friends begin asking the inevitable fall question, "So, you doing NaNo this year?"

No.

I did it last year, for the sake of trying it out. One of my favorite things is Trying New Things. The older I get, the more I have realized that I thrive on novelty, and I love a challenge. However, this year I really need to rein in the novelty,  and focus on revising a manuscript that has been with me since before last year's NaNo.
So, instead of reinventing the wheel, and churning out 50,000 words that will most likely have to be entirely rewritten, I'm going to take my halfway finished MG and make it into something wonderful in the next six weeks or so.

For those of you who are diving into NaNo, I send the very best of luck! It was incredibly fun to participate. I really love writing first drafts, sitting down with my manuscript and cranking out words, playing with the story and the characters, and letting them do odd things that might get axed in later revisions, but might lead to something delightful down the road. It's so fun and refreshing to start a new project, which is what I plan on doing next year, which means getting this current project finished (or as close to finished as it ever can be).

And I also have to get my son's Halloween costume done.

Happy Writing!


2 comments:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

I've never done Nano mostly because I buck under the constriction of authority. Knowing "I have to" do anything makes me 100% less likely to do it. Thus No Nano. :0)

Julia Whelan said...

Lily Cate,
I've nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. It's a fun honor that can direct readers to your site. Check out my post on the Paper Wait site, and you can read more about it.
Thanks so much.
And, about Nano, I doubt I can manage it. Bit of a fiasco for me last year.