Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What's Up Wednesday

*"What's Up Wednesday" is run by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, and is an awesome weekly bloghop that gives readers and writers a great venue to keep in touch through the magical world of blogs. Come hop with us!*






Welcome back to Wednesdays! Well, for me anyway. 
It's been a few weeks, so there's plenty of catching up to do!  

What I'm Reading 

I'll admit, nothing really. I've been slowly nibbling my way through Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, but I had a real craving for some fiction this week, and I owe my son a few books from our deal that he could have a new book for every week he aced his spelling tests. So it was time to put in a book order this morning. Yay! Books are coming! 

What I'm Writing 

Making really solid progress on my MG ghost story. The first half needs some polish, but everything seems to be in order. (I say before I get the back half straightened out, and realize I have to make all kinds of adjustments to the front half again.) 
I'm not NaNoing this year. I did it last year, because hey, how can I be a writer in the modern age and not give that a try at least once? I enjoyed the experience because I love drafting anyway. But this year, I had to buckle down and get some revising done on more than one project before I go starting something brand new. New stuff waits for next year. 

What Inspires Me Right Now 

Honestly? The holidays. With a little guy in the house, Christmas is still a Very Big Deal, in terms of decorating and planning and preparing. His energy is so contagious, it's hard not to be cheerful when he's around. We had our first snowfall of the season on Monday, real snow, that fell in fluffy clumps and stuck to the trees, and had to be scraped off the car windows. I love snow, but possibly no one loves the snow as much as my son!

What Else I'm Up To

Many, many things. Things that kept me from hopping these past couple of weeks.
I decided to participate in No Sugar November, which is a 30 day commitment to eating healthier, and breaking the sugar habit - which was both a fantastic and horrible idea for me, admitted sugar addict.  We're almost halfway through, and it has been HARD. Some of my group are being more strict than others. I was just trying to avoid eating the heavy duty stuff, soda, candy, cookies, ice cream, etc. that are usually a way too common part of my daily diet. So far, so good. 17 days to go.
Changing one eating habit leads to changes in others, and so I've been spending a lot more time cooking, and trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible.
It's a challenge, and challenges are good.
I've also been working hard at building my Etsy shop from a hobby into a real business. It's a steep learning curve, but progress is being made in the right direction. It's going to take a lot of work, but it's work I love doing, and it allows me the flexibility to fit in my writing time anywhere in my day.

And that's enough for now. I have packages to mail, and blogs to hop to. And we all have writing to get done!

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

Leandra Wallace said...

No sugar November? Why would they do this in Nov?! Though I guess that would be when you'd consume quite a bit w/Thanksgiving and all. Evil geniuses... Also, those are some really cute Christmas creations to the right there.