Thursday, January 30, 2014

*"What's Up Wednesday" is run by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, and is an awesome weekly bloghop that gives readers and writers a great venue to keep in touch through the magical world of blogs. Come hop with us!*






Yes, I'm a day late. It's the Polar Vortex, I swear. 

What I'm Reading 

Fragile Things by Mr. Neil Gaiman. Re reading, actually. I'm in a short fiction tear at the moment. I love a good short story, and they get unfairly overlooked, I feel. 

What I'm Writing 

Why, short fiction, actually! 
I had a plan to finish the rewrite of my MG this week, but two days of Polar Vortex school closings changed my intended schedule. I spent a lot of time this week playing Mario Bros. with the kid, and doing some non fiction reading, which has inspired some short form writing. 

What Inspires Me Right Now 

Learning. Reading. Exploring. Which I have to do from indoors, because it's too horrible to be outside. The weather will break soon, and then we'll be back out in the world. But for now, it's time to hibernate and gather information. I feel like a squirrel preparing for winter. 

What Else I'm Up To

Let's see... I made the earth. 




My sincere apologies if I have omitted any particular geographical locations that are dear to you. There are limitations to how fancy I can get with fleece. But I'm trying to get as detailed as possible. 

In web news, I found this interesting article about agents, and what they look for when they google you, at The Write Life. If you aren't in the habit of googling yourself (snicker) don't panic, but you should be doing this, at least once in a while. 
My current agent discussed this with me during our first phone call. Never underestimate the value of creating a web presence, even if you aren't published or represented yet. Most agents will be googling your name at some point in the query process. I assume editors are doing the same. In my case, my official name is Lindsey Becker, and well, there are a lot of us out there. Which means I have work to do to be the writer Lindsey Becker, and not the tennis player, the lawyer, the bikini model, or one of the 50+ others on facebook alone. Although, if you pull up images of the bikini model, go ahead and imagine that's me. Honestly, I don't mind. 






2 comments:

Miss Cole said...

Cute Earth!

Hope the Polar Vortex goes away so your children can go back to school and you can get back to writing.

Have a lovely week!

Lily Cate said...

Yep, school was back in session, and a big old snowstorm is coming tonight. Weeee!