Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

"What's Up Wednesday" is run by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, and is an awesome weekly bloghop that gives readers and writers a great venue to keep in touch through the magical world of blogs. Come hop with us!*







Happy Wednesday Hoppers! 
I have been participating in this blog hop for a few months now, and I notice I always seem to be the last or near the last one to get my post posted. How the heck is everyone else so on the ball every week?? We're writers, people. How do you all keep so organized??   

What I'm Reading 

I'm going to modify this one for this week. Instead of What I'm Reading, I'm going to let you know What I'm Watching ;) 
Jim Jarmusch has a new film out, in limited release, which finally made its way to our neighborhood. 
It's called Only Lovers Left Alive, and if you have the chance to see this in a theater, do it.  I've written way more about it in my previous post, which you are also invited to read if you want to know what the heck it's about. (hint: technically it's a vampire picture. But of course, not really) 


What I'm Writing 

I'm supposed to be finishing a revision. So of course, I wrote a short story this morning, and started notes on a brand new YA idea that sort of finally congealed for me over the weekend. I've tried YA before, with disastrous results, but this one is a bit different than my previous attempts, and I think it may have legs. But I can't do any real writing until I get the revision finished. 

What Inspires Me Right Now 

Jim Jarmusch. See below. And above. It's been a while since I've seen a movie or read a book that I truly loved as much as this one. It's one of those films that I wish I could watch again for the first time. 


What Else I'm Up To

Mr. Cate and I have started putting together actual material for our podcast project. Last night we recorded a test toast that was super fun and completely unusable, as first drafts often are. 
The tentative title for this one is I Can't Believe You Made Me Watch That, which I realize is way too clunky, but it describes the concept perfectly. 
We've seen a lot of movies. A LOT of movies. It's the thing that got us started on the path to being an Us in the first place - late nights watching movies, and then going out for coffee and pie and talking about those movies until dawn, when it was time to go start watching movies again. 
I love reading movie reviews. (actually, I love reading good movie reviews. See: most of the discussions over at the A.V. Club.) I really love reviews with give and take, point/counterpoint banter. But I've never seen one with a couple before, and this project gives Mr. Cate and I the perfect opportunity to A. Make each other watch movies we would never usually agree to watch. and B. have it out with the other one when we pick something truly awful, and have to own up to it. 

What's going on out there in the rest of the Wednesday World?? 

2 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for some of those movie discussions! ;) Nothing much happening this Wed for me, just sipping a pop from McD's and getting ready to start writing- which I should already be doing!! Bad me...

Erin L. Funk said...

I love when writers procrastinate on revisions by writing something else lol. Ever notice how we also have a tendency to reward ourselves with more writing too? We're a funny bunch.

You & Mr. Cate sound like my hubby and I. We watch everything together and love discussing movies and TV shows. Have fun with this new podcast and with your new YA story idea! :)