Wednesday, July 9, 2014

What's Up Wednesday - Welcome Back

"What's Up Wednesday" is run by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, and is an awesome weekly bloghop that gives readers and writers a great venue to keep in touch through the magical world of blogs. Come hop with us!*







Happy Wednesday! 
I've missed a few, and there's a lot of catching up to do! 

What I'm Reading 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Love the pace. It does have one element that always throws me, and it's the Immortal Figure that Looks Like a Teenager But is Really Much Older But Falls in Love with a Human Teenager Anyway. I enjoy a good paranormal romance, but as a person in my mid thirties, who remembers very well being a teenager,  I cannot imagine dating someone who's 16 or 17 at my age, let alone when I'm 50, or 150, or 500, even if I still looked 17 on the outside. No thank you. (although my dear husband has plenty of friends who won't date anyone less than 10 years younger than them, so I don't think it works both ways) I also don't recall thinking of way older guys in a romantic manner at that age. That always kind of lingers in the back of my head when I'm reading these kinds of romances. Falling in love with a vampire, swamp beast or ghost seems more plausible than a 100 year old soul having a romantic connection to a 16 year old soul, and making that work at all. Still a very fun book. 


What I'm Writing 

My MG adventure story is almost, ALMOST complete. Yesterday I had a blissful 8 hours of writing time. With a few more days like this, I should be able to complete this pass by the end of the week. YAY! And then it can go back to Fabulous Agent. 

What Inspires Me Right Now 

Momentum. I made some really solid progress on the WIP this week, and with a few days of writing time still reserved ahead of me, I'm ready to keep right on rolling and see this to the end. It's the middle of a long jog, and I've got the heart rate up, and the pace is comfortable and even, and it's now one smooth flat grade to the finish line. 


What Else I'm Up To

Oh boy. Well, it's not entirely what I've been up to, but more what's been going on around me since the start of summer.  
- my brother co-wrote on a song that is featured in the new Transformers movie.
- my cousin was selected by the 49ers in the third round of the NFL draft, and he is likely to be a starter next year. (Still hoping he ends up in Green Bay someday!)
- my husband's short film screens this weekend in Chicago. Yay! One of his feature length films is in consideration to be an art installation at a major museum. Fingers crossed.  And another film he edited is about to make its film festival debut. 
- my etsy shop had its best non-holiday month ever in June, and July is looking to be even better. Which is fantastic and nerve wracking, because last year August-March were BUSY and if it's even more this year, I might have a hard time keeping up. But I welcome the challenge!   
- my son made it out of third grade, and this summer he's started going running with me. We're scouting for a fun 5k to do as a family in the fall. Right now he's on a road trip with his brave grandpa and cousin. Just Papa and the boys :) 
And there were other less fun happenings as well, but why drag those out, right? This is about inspiration, motivation and fun. So, what fun things has summer brought your way so far? 

4 comments:

Miss Cole said...

Sounds like you are super busy, wow :D Congrats on the Etsy success ^_^

Sarah Chafin said...

So much excitement! Congrats on the writing progress. I'm with you on the old soul loving a young soul thing. I like some of the books but that part kinda creeps me out.

Sabrina Wolfheart said...

Wow! Sounds like a fun week for you! Congrats on the Etsy success, and to your brother and husband for their achievements. :)

- Sabrina

meredithmansfield said...

Sounds like you come from a very talented family! Good luck keeping up with everything. :)