Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

"What's Up Wednesday" is run by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, and is an awesome weekly bloghop that gives readers and writers a great venue to keep in touch through the magical world of blogs. Come hop with us!*






Look at that beautiful fall wreath! It's October! Love!  

What I'm Reading 

Night Film by Marisha Pessl.  Just started, but it's glorious so far. Next up is Measure for Measure again, as I've got Mr. Cate nearly convinced to produce a Shakespeare film with me.  

What I'm Writing 

Back to revising my MG adventure story. Notes came back from Fabulous Agent, and now I'm polishing like a fiend over here.  

What Works For Me  

Making time to write. I don't mean requiring myself to write, I mean allowing myself the time to work. Mr. Cate is in the middle of a training program for his dream job, which means my income is the main income around here at the moment, which in turn has made me feel that every spare moment should be spent on my business, and working working working, or else I'm a slacker. But last month I was forced to step back and take a week away, and guess what? Things went along just fine. I'm now setting aside some time each morning to work on my manuscripts again. Getting some writing done always makes me feel that I accomplished something that day, even if everything else is just a whirlwind of nonsense and tasks that never get completely finished. 

What Else I'm Up To

Made my second appearance at the Holy Hill Art Farm, which was just as much fun as last year, even though the weather was 20 degrees colder and 100% rainier than the forecast described. It was still a good crowd, and a great weekend for me. It was also me and mister's anniversary - 12 years with this old scoundrel. 





What else is going on out in writing world?? 

3 comments:

wendybarron.com said...

I love that you refer to your husband as a scoundrel. Congratulations on twelve years! Great photo.

Measure for Measure is a tricky bit of Shakespeare, what with all the emphasis on maidenly virtue being the only worth of a woman, blah de blah. Our local Bard festival did it a couple of years ago and it was great, but it's tricky for the modern audience. Ah, who am I kidding; they're all a bit tricky in that area.

Lily Cate said...

Yes, it's one of the "problem plays" isn't it?
I tend to think those themes are exactly why this is the time to pull that play out - from 400 years ago - and make some comparisons to *some* modern attitudes.

Jaime Morrow said...

I've read a fair number of Shakespeare's plays, but never Measure For Measure. I don't even think I know what that one is about. I'll have to give it a read sometime. :-) I feel the same way when it comes to squeezing in some writing and feeling like you've really accomplished something. Those are the best days, for sure. Have a great week! :D