Thursday, February 26, 2015

Foraging for Dinner in the Modern Age

So, I've been interested in joining a farm share, or CSA program for a while now.  If you've never heard of the concept, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and it's a way of shopping super locally. How it works is, you buy a share of the produce from a local farm, and throughout the growing/harvest season, food is either delivered to your door or you pick it up directly from your farm once a week or every other week, depending on how much food you'd like to end up with. Contents of your share would include seasonal fruits and veggies, possibly eggs, butter, honey or meat, depending on what is raised at your farm of choice, and what grows well that season.
On some farms, you can even go work a shift or two during the week, to help grow your own food.
I am a horrible food grower. We live in a heavily wooded neighborhood, with a yard that's almost completely shaded by 80 year old oak trees. Not a great place to grow food. I can grow flowers and shrubs like a boss, but my attempts at adding anything edible have been a complete flop for the past 5 years running.
This year, I'm thinking we'll go with a local CSA.
This is the time of year to buy in, for us up in the North.
So I'm off to find a good local farmer, and I'll share the results of my journey as we go!


And now the updates -

Film Count 2015 : 49 
Watched this week:
(*not first viewing)

The Strangers*
A Good Marriage
Tommy Boy*
Stop at Nothing
BirdMan
Nightcrawler
Skyfall*




Things that are technically TV shows even though I only watch them streaming on the computer: 12
New this week:

Nothin. Still 12

Books of 2015 : 11
New this week:

Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities 

2 comments:

Miss Taken said...

I LOVE CSAs. I hope you find a good one. I'm doing local "crop boxes" again this year. And I am hoping that the pumpkin farm sticks with something they also tried out last year. They offered deals on crates and you go harvest whatever you want (and that is currently "in season" obviously), and you pay based on how much you haul. It was massively affordable. It was local. And there is just nothing like getting out there and getting your hands dirty in the sun. I LOVE it!

Keep us posted on your finds!

Lily Cate said...

I found one in Elkhorn that does veggies, fruit, eggs and seasonal meats. I'm thinking that's the one we'll go with - I get to visit the farm to get my food!