Saturday, April 18, 2015

Films About Writers

Arg. I thought this would be a quick, fun little post about a few of my favorite films about writers. But then there just kept being more and more and... well... I really love movies about writers, and there is a long, long list of fantastic movies about writers, whether it's about the process itself, or just a study of the kind of character who likes to study characters.
So, here's the first ten (eleven) that popped up in my interior Films file, in no particular order -

Wonder Boys - Based on a book about writers, so this one is a double threat.

Becoming Jane - Are hipster guys dressing like Mr. Darcy yet? Because I would have no problem with that.

Sideways - Every one of us is a little bit Miles at some point on the writing journey. Hopefully our id is a little more controlled than Jack

Listen Up Philip - He should have listened. But at least watching him not listen makes for a great movie.

Kill Your Darlings  - Ah, the Beat Poets. You set a high bar for literary inspired debauchery, gents. Well played.

Midnight In Paris - Still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts, and a magical cab to whisk me off for a night of drinking and dancing with our finest artists of the roaring 20s.

Adaptation - Because its important to have those moments, when your manuscript is giving you fits, to say "Hey! I'm in charge here! I'll do what I want!"

Last Night - Only secondarily about writers, but one of the most beautifully crafted films I've ever seen.

Young Adult - A much more realistic portrayal of the glamorous writing life? Maybe not all of it, but we'll each recognize a choice moment, and be thankful that no one films us looking or acting like that.

The Basketball Diaries - I saw this before Leo was Leo. That's how old I am. And him. We're both old. Sigh.

Shakespeare In Love. Yes. This.  Shakespeare, writing, guys with soulful dark eyes, fancy outfits. Perfect. Thank you.


So, what else? What brilliant, writing inspired films would you heartily recommend?


Film Count 2015 : 88
Watched this week:
(*not first viewing)

Home
Girl Most Likely
Obvious Child
The Big Lebowski*
Houdini
Life After Beth
All the Light in the Sky
While We're Young
Spirited Away 
Searching for Sugarman
The Pact
Kicking and Screaming




Things that are technically TV shows even though I only watch them streaming on the computer: 17
New this week:

Louie

Books of 2015 : 15
New this week:

The Scorpio Races (finally) 

No comments: